Mysteriously unavailable port

Hi:

I had a port (TCP:52557) that was mysteriously unavailable on my ubuntu
machine (running kernel 2.6.15-27-k7 #1 SMP PREEMPT).  If you tried to
bind to it, it was unavailable.  However, nmap (both to localhost and
from an external host) reported the port closed.  fuser, lsof, and
netstat had no record of the port being used.  Our firewall logs didn't
show any unusual traffic to the machine.  Nor did they show any traffic
at all to/from that port on the machine.  After checking everything I
could think of, I rebooted it, and there are no ports that are
unavailable in this way now.  Has anyone seen anything like this and/or
is there anything else I could have looked at?
--
  Lawrence MacIntyre   865.574.8696   macintyrelp@xxxxxxxx
                Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM.
Learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm
-