Re: [resend] Problem with IP address deletion

* suzuki <suzuki@xxxxxxxxxx> 2006-12-07 17:27
> Long time back, I had posted about an issue with ip address deletion.
>
> Summary of the problem :
>
> >I added the dummy device addresses in the following sequence:
> >
> >ip addr add 10.3.3.3/8 dev dummy0
> >ip addr add 10.3.3.3/32 dev dummy0
>
> >ifconfig dummy0 10.3.3.3/32 down

I looked into this a bit, this will actually attemp to change
the netmask of the primary address, delete an address with
matching address bits and label and down the interface.

ifconfig is deprecated but if you really want to use it to
manage secondary addresses you have to use labels, i.e.
dummy0:1 etc. otherwise ifconfig won't work as it doesn't
understand the semantics of overlapping prefixes.

Best is to just use iproute2. It's not a bug, it's misuse.
-