Re: ipw2200 for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG 802.11b/g wireless laptop card

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:25:03 +0200
David Harel <hareldvd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In order to have WIFI on my Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG 802.11b/g wireless laptop card I was informed I should install ipw2200 ( http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Gentoo_on_Fujitsu-Siemens_S7020#Onboard_Wireless ) and now after I upgraded my kernel I was advised to reinstall modules. Trying to reinstall ipw2200 it says I should disable IEEE80211 but qconf doesn't allow me to disable it. My questions.

1. Shouldn't it all be kernel drivers?

that would be nice but sometimes its easier to develop drivers outside of the kernel for a while, without focussing on kernel API changes, especially when ramping up new drivers. Developing a driver rapidly on a stable kernel version is easier than developing against a rapidly evolving kernel tree ;)

2. How can I identify which driver conflicts my desire to disable the above option?

after a kernel upgrade you *must* recompile out-of-tree modules in most cases. running depmod might show which modules are no longer good for your current kernel.

3. Eventually I will have to re-enable those options because I also need to enable encryption or am I entirely wrong here?

4. Is there a way in qconf to search where a given kernel option is set in the menu (too many times I get a kernel option documented and now go figure which qconf tree to dive into.

grep CONFIG_FOO .config ; zgrep CONFIG_FOO /proc/config.gz ?

Doesn't the stock ipw2200 driver in the kernel.org kernel work for you.
If you are using a recent 2.6 kernel, the driver is already there with
all the necessary ieee80211 configuration options etc.

it should indeed work but I've been trying the latest versions from sourceforge myself too. If you do a source compile+install the ieee80211 and ipw2200 packages should switch off kernel config options that conflict and install properly anyway. rpm installs probably are much harder, so I just compile them and that works fine.

Cheers,

Auke
-