Re: The module stripped can't be recognized by system

Charlie Brady wrote:

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Auke Kok wrote:

Charlie Brady wrote:
Disk is cheap.

but CF cards are not. If you're building a system based on something like that and want to keep it minimal (say - booting a firewall from a 64mb flash chip), then space matters.

Then don't use loadable modules.

I actually strip kernel modules for my distro installer ISO - it autoloads modules based on hardware detection. shaves off quite a bit and we need a whole bunch of modules present for all those whacky scsi controllers, but we can't build them into the kernel because loading an 18mb kernel is just not so nice, and we'd like the installer to also run on older systems.

there are always good reasons for consuming less resources.

Auke
-