Re: routing problem ???

"Martin A. Brown" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 06/13/2006 06:48:30 AM:

> This might very well be Linux-specific behaviour.  I would encourage
> you to read the iproute2 documentation and compare the output of "ip
> address show" with your expectations.

        You're talking about two different things.

        If you have a route to get there, all addresses on a host,
whether the interface is down are not, are usable. This was true
on BSD systems 24 years ago.
        Linux ARP uses a "weak end-system" addressing model by default,
meaning that Linux ARP will answer requests for local addresses