State of reversing IPv6 routing headers in Linux kernel?

Hello everyone!

There is a known problem with routing headers in IPv6, namely that for
the inversion of the routing header to be done automatically on the
reply, there has to be authentication between the endpoints, with AH.
This causes a number of problems, and I'd like to know how this was
handled in the Linux kernel, if anyone has any close experience with
it.

The thing is I'm developing an academic project that requires the
reversion to be working properly, but so far I've been unable to get
it going. If I send the packets unauthenticated, the kernel
(correctly) responds directly to the origin, without adding any
routing header to the reply packages. The solution would be to
activate AH, but the implementation of AH in IPv6 seems to be
seriously lacking in projects like OpenSWAN, so I haven't been able to
test that.

Basically, I need either:
a) a way to get around the AH requirement
b) better, and *provided the kernel supports the reversal when AH is
present* (which I haven't been able to test), a quick way to get AH
working, even if it's just with a bunch of static shared secrets

Any information in any of this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Sérgio Gomes
-