Re: SMP or Single CPU?

Juan Pablo Abuyeres wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been using an old single processor / linux 2.4 iptables based firewall for a few years.

Now it's time to upgrade that machine, so, I am wondering, would it be of real benefit if I put a two-processor system for a firewall? This machine is going to have 4 NICs, it's going to make routing (lots of routes), and firewall (iptables). I don't know if these kind of tasks take advantage from a multiple-processor architecture. Please enlighten me :)

These tasks certainly take advantage of smp architecture. In any case you should consider what type of nics you are putting in the machines and what the bandwidth is that you need. A ordinary desktop machine nowadays with a single cpu can perfectly handle 4 100mbit NICs.

afaik iptables is smp-aware meaning that packets coming in and out will be handled by whatever cpu is available, and the same goes for routing. Make sure you run an irqbalance daemon to spread the rx interrupt load across the cpu's if applicable.

This field is highly volatile at the moment, there are lots of people trying to improve it at the moment.

Auke
-