Re: question on using Linux as a router

I'm using those settings at kernel level (exerpt from grub config) :
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14 root=/dev/sda1 ro maxbatch=300 rhash_entries=1048575

maxbatch is used to prevent Quagga killing the machine by sending a
massive route update.
rhash_entries gives more room to handle a full internet routing table.

Queuing should be done at the ethernet card level. Use 'ethtool' to tune
the settings of your card. For instance, when compiling a kernel for Intel
Pro1000-MT cards, use the following settings (kernel .config file) :
CONFIG_E1000=m
CONFIG_E1000_NAPI=y

Then tune the settings by using :
/usr/sbin/ethtool -G eth0 rx 4096 tx 4096

With NAPI, the network card does not trigger an interrupt each time a
packet is sent or received. That's up to the kernel to poll the network
interface.

Hope this helps,
(and for the other readers, correct me if I'm wrong ;-) )

--
 |--- Jean-Francois "Jef" Stenuit

-