Re: Obtaining data from a network kernel module

Auke Kok wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 15:00 +0200, Jano wrote:

Hello,

I'm interested in getting some information from a network device. Namely, I want to retrieve the signal/noise ratio from a wireless airo card. For that, I'm modifying the airo driver and recompiling it.

I know how to get that information for each frame received, but I'm not sure what would be the best/recommended way of making this information available for the application layer without breaking compatibility.

Any suggestions very welcome. Kind regards,

did you ever think of using sysfs,debugfs or relayfs to output this
data? This will allow you to output your data on access without
polluting IOCTLs or syscalls.

I'm novice at this so that's precisely the kind of suggestions I was looking for. Thanks, I'll read more in this direction.

many drivers do this, such as for instance the hdaps driver which
monitors the thinkpad's motion sensors - the sensor can be read from
userspace like an ordinary file.

-