kernel and user mode message communication

Hello,

I am porting three device drivers to linux. One function is that for
every received packet, the device driver sends a message to notify the
applications for processing. But I could not do it in linux, IPC seems
not designed for linux kernel.

This is a very basic feature for device driver to communicate
applications via messages, I am sure there must be some way in linux
where the kernel can talk to user mode applications via messages or
similar alternative mechanism (not signal).

Any advices or sample codes will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim

-