Re: [RFC] ip / ifconfig redesign

John Heffner wrote:
Rick Jones wrote:

That's the discussion related to things like the "Strong ES" (end system) model right? As such, isn't that discussing what _IP_ may do rather than what ARP may do? 1122 doesn't say much about the interfaces/MAC's that should be part of a given ARP reply. ARP seems to be RFC 826 and probably others, and the algorithm described in 826 doesn't seem to be specific on the topic of interfaces - at least not to my really brief read.

rick jones

Yes, but if an interface will accept packets for a certain IP address, and will send packets with that IP address, is there any reason it can't ARP for that address?

If ARP RFC's say it shouldn't :) (I don't know that it does) ARP is ARP, accepting IPs is IP. The maze of twisty passages may be similar, but they are distinct.

Is a MAC address a property of the host, or of the interface connected to the host?

rick jones
is on netdev, so no need for direct reply to my address...
-