Re: Duplicate incoming packets with Bonding Driver v2.6.1 ...

On 12/2/05, Noelle M. Vega <nmvega@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Im wondering if the community can shed light on a problem
> we are seeing when employing the Ethernet Channel Bond
> Driver. To help you help me, below you will find a summary
> of our findings and configuration.
>
> =========================
> The problem:
> =========================
> As captured by tcpdump(1) run against the bond0 interface,
> and subsequently analyzed by ethereal, we are seeing
> duplicate packets **constantly** -- (and NOT just
> shortly after periods of network inactivity, which can
> be accounted for as a transient situation resulting from
> adjustments to switch MAC address tables).
>
> Duplicate packets are only seen when both eth0 & eth1
> are up. Conversely, when either eth0 or eth1 is up (but
> not both) we do not experience duplicate packets. Again,
> the duplicates are seen all the time with both interfaces
> up.

Yes, this is known and expected behavior with bonding that has to do
with bonding keeping all backup interfaces up even if it is not
sending on them.  There's been some discussion of this on the
bonding-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list recently, including
some debate about a patch to change this behavior.  Check the archives
there for more details.

Jason
-