Re: Gigabit full duplex full line rate

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:36:52 -0500
Toby DiPasquale <codeslinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/20/05, Unai Uribarri <unaiur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm trying to run a gigabit linux-based bridge at full duplex, full
> > line rate. That means receiving and sending 3 Million Packets Per
> > Second: quite ambitious, I known.
>
> 3.125Mpps, actually, assuming all minimum length 40 byte packets.
>
> > My first problem is to get the appropiate hardware:  I've evaluated
> > several PCI-X nics (Intel & Broadcom) but I can't achieve more than 800
> > kpps. I've read that this is the PCI-X bus limit, so I'm going to buy a
> > pair of PCI Express x4 NICs.
>
> That would help.

You are running out of bus bandwidth. You might do better on systems
with separate buses.  Also what memory bus are you using, DDR2 and
AMD hypertransport might help.

> > Has anyone evaluated the SysKonnect SK-9E22 or Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual
> > Port cards? Is there other capable NICs?
>
> My experience with the e1000s is that they are very good, but I have
> not, as of yet, been able to get a full 1Gbit transfer rate out of
> them for any non-trivial length of time. This has much more to do with
> Linux than the card, but at the same time, I'm not sure the card can
> sustain Gbit speeds since I can't test it. I have no experience with
> the SysKonnect cards.
>
> > My second problem is to evaluate the packet drop rate. I've written an
> > user space program using PF_PACKET's mmap'ed receive ring that just
> > counts packets, but it can't even receive 800kpps.

Robert Olsson had a patch to count packets sent to discard port in the
receive path for for measuring packet rate.

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
OSDL http://developer.osdl.org/~shemminger