Re: TCP throttling

Toby DiPasquale wrote:

> You can only shape/limit connections. You can't make them go faster
> (unless they are slower than they should be, and then you have a
> tuning/equipment problem, so fix that).

I am running the vanillaKernel in default config.
ifconfig shows no drops,errors,overruns.
Are you implying the default Kernel is misconfigured?

> > > The only thing that throttles TCP throughput is packet loss, window
> > > size and latency.
>
> Plus host and router CPU/line card/interface utilization, device
> buffer sizes, link utilization, switch capacity, interrupt load, NIC
> quality, retransmissions, amount of RAM, etc, etc. You can get really
> involved if you want to.

The system is idle.
One connection gets ~70% throughput.
Two connections get ~90% total throughput.

> > Window size maybe.
> > Is this tunable per connection?
>
> Yes, but not to the level you might want. See W. Richard Stevens' UNIX
> Network Programming for the particular socket options that can be
> played with (TCP_MAXSEG and TCP_WINDOW_CLAMP, in this case; man 7 tcp
> will also be enlightening).

Good info!

> > Better yet, would it be possible to auto-tune it  based on system load?
>
> If you could accurately determine system load, yes, but again only to
> the level that is allowed in userspace (again, see Stevens).

What would be so complicated?

> What you appear to be looking for is called TCP Rate Control. This
> effectively rewrites the window and MSS sizes on the return traffic
> (and can also induce delays on the return traffic ACKs to introduce
> latency when necessary) to engage or fake out the congestion control
> inherent in the TCP protocol. Linux does not support this, but rather
> supports QoS techniques such as fair queuing, token bucket filters,
> etc, etc. Read http://lartc.org/ for information about what it does

Good info!

> If you really want it to support TCP Rate Control, you'll
> have to write it yourself or pay someone else to write it for you.

Although I am not looking for handouts, are you donating?
Really, I thought I was doing Linux a favor by pointing this quirk out.
I could care less whether Linux supports this or not.

> There was one (or more?) attempt at developing this for Linux, but it
> was not integrated into the mainline and that code is long, long dead.

Strange.

--
Al
-