Re: How to access a file from kernel module

On 9/16/05, yenganti pradeep <pradeepls143@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Lateef,
> I followed up your code, and its perfectly working!!!.
> Thanks a lot. I didn't quite get what Hemminger and
> you were talking about; I heard abt ioctl, but dont
> know any more than that name. Could you help me figure
> out those possibilities too?

Actually directly accessing files/user space stuffs through making
system-calls from the kernel is not a good idea, b/c these work are
related to user space and they are supposed to be done there !!!!!

Now for transffering data from user to kernel space can be done
through existing straight 3-ways which I AFAIR:

1) ioctl (they are single directional and can be used to pass buffers,
but user fucntions will call ioctl)
2) sysfs (that is a better replacement for adding new ioctls in
driver, just for user/kernel interaction)
3) netlink sockets (these are for bi-directional kernel/user
communication, means kernel can also send data to user space rather
always user space have to ask for data as it is with the above 2
cases)

--
Fawad Lateef
-