Re: Arp-entry lifetime extension with ICMP?

In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0508181612450.1549@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
>> I've run into what probably is a policy decision, but I cannot quite get the
>> reason:  When sending TCP traffic to a machine, the first packet will cause
>> an arp request to be made.  Later on, this arp entry gets its lifetime
>> extended by the TCP packets, so that it does not have to arp again until the
>> network becomes quiet.
>
> Are you sure? I see some ARP traffic even when there is TCP, and can find
> no trace of this extending of the neighbor entries in the TCP code (but
> this does not mean it isn't there)..

The reason why TCP code extend the lifetime and ICMP not is because it is
easier to spot if a TCP packet is spoofed (seq numbers). This makes it
harder for attackers to poison the neighbour cache.

> Probably hasn't been considered important to implement for ICMP, if it is
> implemented for TCP. But I do have a feeling both ICMP and TCP behaves the
> same in this regard, and my testing indicates this is the case.

I think the re-arping is done if the entries get stale, which is first time
after some random time after base reachable time. And confirmed traffic
resets the counters.

i thin you can see that mit "ip -s neigh"

Gruss
Bernd

-