Throughput problems on high latency link

I'm trying to find some better docs on getting throughput up on a high latency link. I have multiple machines, and the local link runs at ~7500kB/s all the time. The remote runs about half that on the same hardware. The docs I googled are all over five years old, and may be incomplete for current kernels.

I increased memory sizes in net/core/*mem* and rmem-* wmem_* in ipv4, as well as changing the thp_adv_win_scale. Looking at the traces, it appears that the number of packets in flight are increasing, but the throughput is still low.

Any pointers, examples of working changes, or thoughts would be helpful.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-