Re: Local network hosts unreachable

--- Levente Janovszki <janovszki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > (running Sarge/Testing).  The two boxes are
> connected
> > by a 4 port switch.  For the past few days I have
> been
> > unable to communicate between the two boxes.
> >
> > Neither machine can ping the other (100% packet
> loss).
> >  Traceroute is also unable to find a path from
> either
> > machine to the other.  Ssh fails with an error
> saying
> > 'no route to host.'  This last error makes me feel
> > that something has been messed up with my kernel
> > routing tables, but they look OK to me and I have
> not
> > been able to correct the problem by making changes
> > there.
>
> 1.) Does your switch work well? Connect the boxes
> directly with a
> cross-link cable (1-3, 2-6). Do they work?

I should have mentioned that I had tried a cross-link
cable first, and after making changes to the routing
table, as well.

> 2.) Try to connect an another box to the switch and
> ping the two linux
> boxes.

I don't have any other boxes available with NICs in
them.

> 3.) Do you have any filtering? (check iptables)

The gateway (mareschal) has just a standard ipchains
setup and the desktop box (xander) has ipchains, but
nothin is entered, so it has only the defaults
(ACCEPT).  Nothing has been changed (intentionally) on
either box and they worked fine up until 4 or 5 days
ago.

--
Marc Shapiro

-