Multicast Socket Marking

Hello all,

I have been investigating how the CLUSTERIP kernel module works and I have a question about multicast.

The CLUSTERIP module overwrites the skb->pkt_type to PACKET_HOST in order that the TCP layer will not throw it away. What confuses me is that the skb->pkt_type is set in the ethernet layer as PACKET_MULTICAST based on the MAC address. Why should the ethernet code decide this on behalf of higher layers? I expected to find a test against the destination IP address to see if it was in the multicast range further up the stack rather than what it does. Can anyone explain why this is done in this way? My understanding is that Link Layer multicast and Transport Layer(IP based) multicast are two separate things yet in this case one is making a decision for the other.