RE: Do you know the TCP stack? (127.x.x.x routing)

It's not the routing of the packet that gets screwed up.  It's the
applications that my "intra" communication use.

I do this...

I have a redundant system.  So two Ethernet switches that go to either a
switch/hubbed/routed network.  Not controlled by me, but by my
customers.

So you have duplicate three wire coming into both ends of my chassis.

------ net 1 --------|                   | ---- net 1 ----
                     |                   |
------- net 2 -------|  Chassis 21 slots | ----- net 2 ----
                     |                   |
------- net 3 -------|                   | ---- net 3 ----

all three of those "outside" nets get to me by either a bridge, router
or hub.

My 19 boards internal need to talk to each other ALONG with talking to
the outside world.

Boards in slot 1/21 are the switches.
so boards 2-20 are my linux blades that talk to each other.

The switch is configured to have the VLANS.  Management traffic I tag on
a VLAN.  So when my host controller or any of the other linux blades
need to do host communication, they talk to ip address 127.100.xx.xx
which is associated with a VLAN tagged interface.

Traffic being sent to the outside world is tagged as it comes in from
the outside world (so I know where it came from), and sent to the proper
board.
L2 switching stuff.

Traffic that I send back out to the outside world is tagged when it
leaves one of my blades so the switch knows which port to send it back
out on.  (net 1, net 2 or net 3)

Ok.. that being said...

The _only_ way I can have normal applications (ie. ping, telnet, nfs) to
work and _guarantee_ not intra communication problems is if I use the
127.xx net.

I'm not sure what you are not getting.  I'm not talking about basic
routing.  I'm talking about getting applications not to collide.

Let me give you and example.

If I were to use the 10.100.xx.xx network for example.  I have an snmp
master-agent/sub-agent configuration.  So I have a host controller with
the 10.100.0.1 address and my subagents are 10.100.0.<slotnum>

Everything works great, everyone is happy, until someone from the
outside world (say net 2) tries to telnet to me with a host address of
say 10.100.0.73.  Well, my host controller will route that packet onto
my private network.  So when I go to respond to the telnet request I
will tag it for my internal network because that is what the FIB routing
tells it to do.

There it is.  I'm not going to spend anymore time on this, and neither
should you.  Like I said, I've been doing this for a darn long time, and
I have, as yet, to see anyone who can make this problem just work.
Other than the way I did it.  (I along with many others)

have a happy day.

-stv