Re: Wireless capture: select() and dropped packets

Daniel:

Try libpcap.

For an example, look at kismet <http://www.kismetwireless.net/>

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 12:34 -0700, Daniel Henkel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have written a small sniffer which sits there and looks for wireless
> traffic on a raw socket. The device is a WiFi card; driver madwifi.
> I'm using select() to see whether there is something to read or not.
> The rough structure is like this:
>
> while(1)
> {
>   select()
>   recv()
>   process()
>   output()
> }
>
> The app is running on Debian on an AMD 486 single board computer,
> i.e., quite limited processing power.
>
> Problem 1:
> In a crowded environment, I am not getting all packets that are sent
> by wireless devices around me. How can I quantify the number of
> packets that I'm getting (i.e., processing in my loop) versus the
> total number of packets seen by the device, but dropped due to
> limited processing power?
>
> Problem 2:
> Is there a more efficient way to capture packets off the device such
> that the number of captured packets is maximized?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Daniel.
>
> -
> : send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in
Lawrence MacIntyre     865.574.8696     macintyrelp@xxxxxxxx
               Oak Ridge National Laboratory
High Performance Information Infrastructure Technology Group
               AKO: lawrence.macintyre@xxxxxxxxxxx
           SIPRNet: macintyrelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-