networking problems with AX88190 card and 2.6.8-24 kernel

Hi all,

recently I updated the system on my notebook from suse 8.2 to suse 9.2.

Since then my PCMCIA network card does not work properly any more.
The symptoms: Low speed connections via the network card work fine
(such as surfing the net via DSL), but a network connection within
my LAN hangs after a few seconds.

The network card is an Allnet ALL 0142+ 100baseTx-FD PCMCIA card
(using the suse hardware detection within yast I fould out the following
about the card: it uses irq 3, io 0x300, manfid: vendor is 0xffff, device is 0x1090,
"PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet")
In Suse 8.2 I used the axnet_cs module which works fine.
I checked whether the network card is broken, but the network card is
still working properly in an 2.4.xx kernel system (I tried with the live
system Knoppix 3.7, using the axnet_cs module). Using the same module
axnet_cs in Suse 9.2, however, does not work any more.

The summary of the problem:
- the network hangs when high speed traffic is going through the
  card
- then the cards hangs; lsmod still shows the axnet_cs and ifconfig
  still show proper output for eth0
- as soon as the card hangs up the flag rx_over_errors in /sys/class/net/eth0/statistics/
  switches to 1
-> as soon as the card hangs the network becomes unavailable (visible e.g.
  by monitoring the network with ping)

/etc/init/pcmcia restart  can restart the network, but if high speed traffic
continues (e.g. by using scp, ftp, cp from/to drives which are mounted via
NFS) then the connection hangs up immediately again.

My questions are:
- is that a bug in the axnet_cs or maybe in the networking code in the new kernel?
- or is this rather a configuration issue?
- do you have a sugestion what I could do to make my network card work again?
- I´d be also interested in how to investigate further what the problem is;
  I´m not entirely new to linux (in fact I'm using it already about 8 years), but
  I never before investigated on this low level; so I  don´t know which tools to
  use etc
  (although I searched with google and read many news articles and howtos and
   searched through the archive of this mailing list)

I´d be very grateful for any hint.

Thanks,

Jan