Re: help regarding setting up multiple gateway on linux

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Pankaj Agarwal wrote:

I need little help and guidance from you all. Actually i am facing two problems. One is whenever I change default gateway by issuing route command ...my system works as the way i want it to...but after restart it reads the old gateway IP...where I'm wrong?

See your OS documentation on how to configure networking parameters. Using the route command (or ip route) only changes the running parameters of the kernel, not the permanent settings in your OS.

Other thing is I am trying to configure my server for multipath routing...but i am unable to do so... when I issue command as "ip route add <network/bit> dev devname src ip table tabname" it gives me a rtnetlink error...Kindly share with me your experinces on setting up multiple gateways... I have used aliasing eth0:0 style for the dev on which both of the gateways are configured..

The device must be a real device, not an alias.

See the output of "/sbin/ip addr show" for some additional insight in how the aliases works. They are not devices, just named IP addresses.

Regards
Henrik