Re: Sending a packet to the loopback address.

Steve Iribarne wrote:
I need to be able to send a packet destined for the loopback address (i.e. 127.10.10.1 or some such address) out onto the wire.  (eth0, eth1 whatever)

I have seen some documentation on a packet path with the old 2.4 kernel but the 2.6 kernel is completely different.

Can anyone point me to documentation on this?  Or if not point me to the function that would best be "hacked" to get this to work.

My guess is I will have two places to hack:

1.  Somewhere in ip_output.c

2.  Somewhere in arp.c

thanks in advance.

Steve Iribarne
Dilithium Networks
TEL: +1 707 792 3920
FAX: +1 707 795 3744
steve.iribarne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Communications for a Borderless World
This electronic message contains information from Dilithium Networks Pty Ltd which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.

-

Can't you just write an iptables module to register on the output chain, clone any skbs you intercept bound for loopback, and modify the clone skb->dev to point to the dev you would like to send it out?
Neil

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer
 *Red Hat, Inc.