jiffies and network packets

Hi...yesterday i was reading the understanding linux kernel and the linux kernel
development. I have found that at boot time the kernel programmes the irq0 to a
tick rate of 1 ms for 2.6 linux kernel and 10ms for 2.4 kernel...

Also the articles that i have read said that the kernel updates the system clock
each 1 msec. I was wondering then how the kernel is possible to keep
microsecond timestamps for the packets coming in an interface? How can calulate
the time when the basic timer is only at 1 millisecond?
I have also read for the

struct timespec {
        time_t  tv_sec;         /* seconds */
        long    tv_nsec;        /* nanoseconds */
};

timespec struct that has a nanosecond field.. How the kernel can insert data to
that field and how it can calculate the nanoseconds have passed??
Thx..as u can understand i am very confused about time related issues...so plz
shed as much ligh as u can..
Thx a lot Alex Paleos