Re: primary and secondary ip addresses

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Hasso Tepper wrote:

All these tricks don't help if you are using dynamic routing.

Are you seriously saying you are doing dynamic routing for your locally attached lans?

source address assignment for routed traffic via gateways is automatically derived by the source address assignment for traffic addressed to the gateway itself. So even with routing protocols etc you can control the source address assignment simply by setting up routing to use the correct source address to speak to your gateways, the added routes will then inherit the intended source address.

But I am not sure about how you can control this on multicast or broadcast traffic in a reasonable manner, mostly because I rarely have to care about this on such traffic.

Regards
Henrik

-