Kernel panic-not syncing: for safety ???

I have a leased server with an Adaptec 29160 and two SCSI disks.  The
machine likes to stay up anywhere between an hour and a couple days, but
always throws a kernel panic.  Nothing gets logged (even after I moved
/var/log to an ATA disk), and the only thing that shows on the console is
"Kernel panic-not syncing: for safety" immediately following the login
prompt.  I'm running Gentoo with Linux 2.6.9.  My hosting provider claims
the hardware is fine and say they cannot guarantee the reliability of the
server when it is running this unsupported configuration, however I also
experienced a kernel panic of the same nature when the server was still
running Fedora Core 1 (and it's default 2.4.x kernel).

I've enabled the AIC7xxx logging option in the kernel, and some things
show up in the kernel log, but NOTHING relating to the crash.  The only
thing I see in the logs are indications of the problem when it happens -
failure to access all the files in /bin, etc.

I've also tried enabling the SCSI logging facility and eching "scsi log
all" into /proc/scsi/scsi, but if this does anything at all, I have no
idea where the output might be.

How can I start tracking this problem down further?  Please CC me on

Cheers,

--
Casey Allen Shobe | AIM/Yahoo: SomeLinuxGuy
  cshobe@xxxxxxxx | ICQ: 1494523