about tuntap & user space device driver

HI,

I am testing tun/tap for a user space network driver. I got a problem like:
After doing the first "ping -f" , I stopped this command and found 2% packets
loss.
Then I did the second "ping" and the reply time is so long that I think the
driver is "dead".
But by looking at the packets captured by "ethereal", I found actually the
long respond time is spent by the network card to send the previous
packets(from ping flood), after finished all those packets, the card then
reply the second ping frames.

I looked at the tuntap code and found it uses read & writev to handle packets
from  or to the driver. And I the thread seems always blocked in the read()
after I stopped "ping -f".

Does anyone meet this similar problem before and does anyone is familiar with
tuntap or the operations on file descriptors--- read/readv & write/writev ??

I appreciate any help from you,
Rita
-