To: <linux-net@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 3:17 AM
Subject: Netlink Implementation.

Hello,

I am trying very hard to understand the userspace view of Netlink sockets.
However, my programming is not suffiecient enough to fully understand the

man

pages or the source(iproute2/zebra) and work off of that. I have tried

many

times but there seems no good documentation or implementation to help me.

have found this implementation written by someone on LKML 2 years ago,
however the code produces no output. If I can get the code to produce some
and the expected output im sure I can work and understand the code from
there. However, because I did not write this code nor do I fully

understand

netlink sockets I am at a loss of what to do. Can someone explain to me if
this code is correct for the 2.6.x series kernel? Furthermore, the author

did

not define replybuf nor byes nor netlink_fd so I have guessed as to their
types. Ideally in the future Id like to use netlink to gather interface
information and modify routing tables, however without a solid base to

learn

and adapt, I am at a loss.

If it helps, I've been trying to spend some time working on a whitepaper for netlink sockets. Its nowhere near complete but if it helps you out:

http://people.redhat.com/nhorman/papers/netlink.pdf

Neil

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer