Re: Network Driver and NFS Root

First, thanks for the responses to my earlier post. I appreciate it.

The ethernet driver code is now executing at boot time; adding either '__initcall(init_fcn)' or 'init_module(init_fcn)' will cause the kernel to call 'init_fcn'. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the initializatin code causes a kernel oops when accessing the 'net_device' structure that is passed to it by the kernel (as a pointer). When the code either reads or writes to the 'net_device' structure you get:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00010f24

Can anyone shed some light on this? I've printed out the value of the 'net_device' pointer, and it's not a null pointer.

Thanks,

Bob Wirka
Realtime Control Works

---------------ORIGINAL POST----------------------------

Bob Wirka wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to build a kernel that mounts a NFS root file system. This is an embedded system; it uses an SMSC LAN91C111 network chip that is hardwired to I/O addres 0x300 and IRQ 5. I've been using the driver (as supplied by SMSC) as a module, and it works fine. Now I'm trying to incorporate it into the kernel build so that I can mount an NFS file system when the system boots.

I've added the source code to the kernel tree, and modified the Makefile(s) and Config.in files so that the driver <<appears>> to be compiled into the kernel. The kernel will load, but the chip is not initialized and the NFS fails.

Since I don't know how to pass the io address and irq number to the kernel, I've hard-coded them into the driver's init function (which I don't see being called).

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

Bob Wirka
Realtime Control Works
-