Re: Implementing a new medium access protocol for an 802.11 card in the kernel driver

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:34:29 -0500, Brian Kimmel wrote:

> The senior project for my computer engineering degree is to implement a
> new medium access protocol, that our professor has developed, on an
> 802.11 wireless network card as a replacement for CSMA/CA. The paper
> describing it is entitled "Cooperative Medium Access Protocol for Dense
> Wireless Networks" by Coskun Cetinkaya and Fatma Orsun.
>
> What we need to determine is what card it is feasible to disable the
> current access protocol and implement the new protocol, preferably in a
> kernel driver. I would appreciate any advice that you might have.

I happened to stumble upon this the other day:

which leads to:

which says:

"Many have noted that I am a fan of the chipsets from Atheros, but few
have ever queried 'Why'. (Nigel Ballard did once, at a PTP meeting where I
spoke the day after leaving Vivato.)

The reason 'Why' is that the Atheros chipsets do not implement the 802.11
MAC protocol. It is straight-forward to implement your own MAC layer on
top of the Atheros design, and the madwifi driver proves it."

I don't have an Atheros chipset card so I don't know how true this is -
but that is/should be a starting point.

Cheers,
Anand

--