Re: Memory Swapping Problem

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 11:19 am, Jihua Cheng wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If the question is out track, please forgive me. I appreciate your kindly
> help.
>
> We are developing a communication product utlizing embedded linux,
> filesystem are located in Flash (JFFS2).  When linux does data swapping
> (swap data from memory to Flash) because of lack of memory, out embedded
> linux is very slow. We do not want linux to do memory swapping, could we
> increase the size of memory to eliminate the memory swapping? How big the
> memory do we need, or how to calculate?
>
> Besides increasing the memory size, do we have other means to prevent linux
> from memory swapping?
>
> Thanks so much for your kindly help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jihua

There is also proc values you can modify. Off the top of my head
echo "0" > /proc/vm/swappiness

However, from keeping up with LKML, tuning it this way is touchy business and
may not prevent swapping altogether. IIRC, some 2.6.x kernel versions had
strange(buggy) swap tuning behavior. If in doubt check the LKML archives
about swap behavior related to whatever verion you are running and see if
there are any known problems.

> -
> : send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in

-EB
-