Re: Packet performance degradation with CONFIG_NETFILTER [2.4.26]

Harald Welte wrote:

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 08:06:46PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Harald Welte wrote:

It is quite possible that there is a problem with the (proprietary)
ADSL driver, but I was wondering if someone else had some similar
problem in the past and could offer some advice on how to track it
down.

No, this is actually very likely, if you are running on an embedded
device.  CONFIG_NAT will pull in everything starting from ip_tables,
over ip_conntrack, iptable_nat,...

Couldn't it simply be the fact that the proprietary ADSL driver (which I assume is binary-only) is compiled without CONFIG_NETFILTER and this makes it assume a different skbuff layout?

Of course it could :) But even on a 16k Cache NSC Geode System with 266MHz I see more than 50% decrease in pps (single-flow udp 64byte) when comparing plain forwarding rate with (filter+mangle+nat+conntrack).

Hi there

Sorry for the delay, but I was burried under a ton of work lately.

Well it turns out the problem was a sucky ethernet driver. Using
our own driver the problem was resolved (fec_8xx backported from 2.6).

FYI the device was a Moto 875@133MHz with dual 100Mbit ethernet
interfaces.

There are a couple of things that can be optimised further in the
Linux networking stack for non-coherent cache architectures when forwarding,
but I'm afraid that discussion will have to wait.

Regards
Henrik

Regards

Pantelis