problem while exporting

Hi All

We are having a LAN in which a machine, say A, exports some of its directories to few other machines in the lab. This worked fine until the nameservers went down.
We have two name servers and both of them went down
yesterday. After this, the machine A is not able to export
its directories. When I give 'exportfs -r', its hanging
on that. When I did a strace, I found that it was trying
to contact the name server.

Now, the interesting point is that all the systems that
is exporting files from machine A, is in the LAN itself
and is reachable (ping) from machine A; and the entry in
/etc/exports only has the IP address. In such a case, why
does the machine A try to contact the name servers, since
it already knows that these systems are in the same LAN ?
Why does it try to do a name lookup when the entries in the exports file are IPs; and not hostnames ?

Can someone explain ?

Cheers,
Dinil

-