Re: Linux based router for Gigabit traffic

alex@pilosoft.com wrote:

I am doing a project, in which i have to redirect traffic coming from
one ethernet card of a machine, to one of three remaining three ethernet
cards of same machine based on the src,dest IP and Port values of the
pkt. I wrote a net_hook module to do this which i working fine for lower
speeds like < 400 Mbps traffic. But project goal is to deal with gigabit
traffic. I have used gigabit ethernet cards and Switch. But when the
traffic rate is more than 400Mbps it is dropping packets. I did test,
by increasing the transmit queue length. But same problem is coming. I
have found during the pkt drop there is no memory or CPU is hundred
percently utilised. So, what can be the resource that is lacking while
dropping of pkts is happend.

Are you using NAPI?

What is the CPU utilization when packets start being dropped?

I route full GE worth of traffic on a low-end machine without a problem.

-alex

-

Are you sure you're actually routing a gigabit worth of bandwidth through your machine, or just the small percent of frames that happen to be on your gigabit network?
Neil
-