FW: IP addresses for a point to point network

Hi,

We are designing a telecom box with an Ethernet interface and a proprietary point to point interface. At the other end of the p2p i/f we connect another of our own box. We want to run IP over the p2p link and have already integrated our driver to the Linux IP stack. In fact, after assigning IP addresses to the p2p interface, we are able to ping and talk to the other side.

However, we want to keep this communication between the two boxes private and it will not be visible to the customer when we ship our system (consisting of two boxes). Given that our customer can configure any IP address to the Ethernet interface, we want to assign a unique IP address to the p2p link, or to come up with a way to address the other side. Note that we do not have knowledge of the IP address the customer would choose for the Ethernet interface.

My question is: Is it possible to use some loopback address (127.x.x.x) and talk to the other side? My hunch is that all addresses starting with 127 are short circuited by the linux stack and not sent to the driver. Note that we cannot even use the normally "reserved" addresses 192.168.x.y or 10.a.b.c as these might be used by our customer.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Vijay
-