Re: Help needed debugging flaky network driver

Vsevolod (Simon) Ilyushchenko wrote:

Hi,

I have a Supermicro X5DP8-G2 board with two onboard Intel gigabit cards (e1000 driver). For some unknown reason, eth0 does not work half of the time when the machine boots - the interface is nominally up, but no traffic flows. (Syslog reports that "link is up" anyway.) If I run
/etc/init.d/network restart
manually, everything is back to normal. This happens under Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 1 and 2. The second interface always works well.

We've used this exact same motherboard with RH9 and FC2 both without the exact problem you speak of without problems. However, we have seen a problem where one of the ethernet devices just won't be detected by the kernel at bootup. Sometimes, powering it off for about 15 minutes and starting it back up will do the trick.

This is a problem with the motherboard, and Supermicro (or our vendor) has always shipped us a replacement motherboard when asked. It is, I've heard, a problem with some sort of timing crystal.

Hope that helps,
Philip
-