rmem_default and memory wastage

It looks like setting a large rmem_default value doesn't necessarily
waste memory.  There doesn't seem to be a fixed, pre-allocated amount of
socket receive buffer, it's just that an incoming sk_buff won't be placed
on a socket's receive queue if there isn't space "reserved" via the
per-socket rcvbuf setting.

Is this correct?

If you consider a UDP application that doesn't process requests fast
enough, this does waste memory if it means packets are held in queue for
too long, processed, but then the reply dropped due to protocol timeout.
So I'm not necessarily saying that one is ok to set rmem_default very
high and all will be fine.  I just want to be sure that if I set it
fairly high to accomodate one application, the mere existence of other
socket-based applications doesn't eat all available memory.

thanks
/fc
-