tcp connection

Hi All

I a new into this area. So please excuse me, if my doubt
is too simple.
I am trying to measure the available bandwidth of a 35 Kbps
ppp connection. I wrote a 2 programs, which when run at the two
ends, establishes a tcp connection. The client sends some junk
and the server simply receives it. The client after connecting
to the server, prints the time and starts sending data. When
it has sent N (say 30 KB) of data it stops and prints time.
But even at this time the server doesn't stop. When I do a
tcpdump, I find the server is still sending acknowledgements.
My doubt is, this being a tcp connection, how can the client
exit before receiving the acknowledgements.

Thanking in advance,
Dinil

-