Re: How to turn off IPV6 (link local)

Jeroen: I'm using Red Hat's 2.4.20 kernels (RHL73 and RHL9).  I'm
having difficulty testing this more widely, as almost everywhere where
I have a Linux box, I also have IPv6 routes ;-)

I just tested this again: after 'modprobe ipv6' and no RA, after a
couple of seconds, the default routes were added on all the
interfaces.  When I restarted RA's, the default routes were removed,
replaced by the default route in the RA.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0406170801540.3821-100000@netcore.fi> you wrote:
> > there are certain problems which may lead to longer timeouts.  This
> > depends principally on (at least) two things:
> >
> > 1) whether the node has a "on-link assumption", i.e., a default route
> > to your interface.
> >
> > 2) whether TCP implementation aborts connection when it receives a
> > "soft" ICMP error (against the host requirements RFC),
>
> I think both are not a problem for unconfigured ipv6 networks, since there
> is no ipv6 default route for link local addresses, and therefore the connect
> fails directly within the kernel, without icmp involvement.

There is a default route, and it applies to link-locals as well..
(every interface also has a link-local route, but that's separate)

> > 1) remove the IPv6 default routes pointing on each interface when the
> > interface is created,
>
> I dont think it does this?

At least for some kernels, it *is* created.. as you can see from the
'/sbin/ip -6 r l' snippet I sent. :)  The routes are replaced if you
hear a default route from somewhere else (or configure it manually, I
suppose)..

-