Re: How to turn off IPV6 (link local)

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 00:57, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I started that discussion on linux-kernel, but I think it is better here:
<SNIP>
> There are application problems, if the interface has (only) the link local
> prefix or corrupt global prefixes.
>
> If the application prefers ipv6 it will try to use them, and only on connect
> it receives an error. Some do then ipv4 fallback (lynx) some dont (mozilla).

Fix your routing as that is the problem. Whenever a connect() fails
because there is no route or the connection is refused the getaddrinfo()
loop inside both those applications will try the next address, may that
be IPv4 or IPv6.

> So qestions:
>
> - is the kernel interpretation auf autoconf=0 or the documntation right?

If you don't want IPv6 "rmmod ipv6", simple.

> - how should an application avoid connecting via an interface which has
>   only addresses for the wrong scope?

An application can't protect itself from misconfigurations, or do you
want every application to do 'verifications' of the setup? :)

> - is falling back from v6 to v4 on connect errors somehwere recommended/described?

See the RFC's and the many transition documents.

For instance one of the newer ones:
http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/~eva/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-application-transition-02.txt

And of course Eva's and Itojun's various other documents about this.

> I can prepare a kernel patch to make autoconf stop configuring any ipv6
> address on upping an interface.
>
> Some of the discussion is archived on the debian bugtracker:

Like Trent mentions there: Fix the network ;)

Protecting against userstupidity is not an option.

Greets,
 Jeroen