[BUG?] Problem on TCP implementation causes kernel panic

Greetings,

Dirst of all, I'm sorry but I don't know if this has been addressed before, nor
if you consider it a bug.

The cenario I'm about to describe will crash the system with a kernel panic; I
think that must be considered a bug and should be addressed, although the
nature of the changes I'm going to descrive justify easilly what's happening.
IMHO there should be an error message, but never a kernel panic and consequent
system crash.

This issue was tested on both 2.6.4-mbn1 and 2.6.6, although I'm sure it will
happen in every 2.6 and possibly in every 2.4 and 2.2.

As we can read on Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt,
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem is a vercor of 3 integers (min, default and max)
which defines the amount of memory reserved/allowed for read buffers for TCP
sockets.

If we `echo "0 0 0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/rcp_rmem`, we just say that there's no
memory for TCP read buffers (or, in other words, the kernel won't be able to
read anything TCP).

If we, next, do, for instance, `ssh localhost` (if we have am sshd running, of
course), we get a Kernel panic:

divide error: 0000 [#1]
   [...]
Call Trace:
[<c03a9b47>] tcp_transmit_skb+0x5a7/0x620
[<c03ac5d5>] tcp_send_ack+0x85/0xd0
   [...]
Code: f7 fe 89 c1 0f [...]
 <0>Kernel panic: Fatal exception in interrupt
In interrupt habdler - not syncing

I didn't paste here the whole Kernel panic since this is easilly reproduceble.

Mind Booster Noori

Marcos Daniel Marado Torres AKA Mind Booster Noori
http://student.dei.uc.pt/~marado - marado@student.dei.uc.pt
() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email and Microsoft attachments. /\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the world.
Join the LPF: http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/ http://petition.eurolinux.org/ /* ************************************************************************* */

-