Linux router forwarding performance

We are planning to use a linux PC as a router in our lab. I was wondering if anyone has recently measured the forwarding rate using a standard PC (say Pentium)? Have there been any changes to the kernel to improve the forwarding rate?

The best performance I have seen so far is with the Click modular router ( http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/papers/click:tocs00/paper.pdf ). According to their study on a 700Mhz Pentium (64 byte packets)
Linux does 75kpps
Linux polling 300kpps (Polling amortizes the device handling overhead over several packets when packet rates are high is my understanding. It also avoids the receive livelock issue).
Is receive livelock still an issue with Linux today? Or is this avoided by throttling the receive interfaces?

Is there anyone using polling mode for better forwarding rates?

I have been looking for documentation in this regard and would appreciate any pointers.

If there is a more appropriate list for such questions kindly point me to the right list.

thanks
Surya