WCCP Linux router

Just wondering if anyone has considering or heard anything about adding
WCCP/WCCPv2 routing capabilities to Linux? It is a field I'd like to
explore, but at the same time I would not like to reinvent the wheel if
someone else has already gone that path.

The WCCP control channel obviously belongs in a userspace daemon, but it
would need the help of a WCCP hash based routing on the selected ports and
some packet encapsulation.

For those not familiar with the WCCP protocol it is a Cisco router
protocol used for easy deployment of traffic interception devices,
originally only HTTP caching by interception but with WCCPv2 basically any
traffic can be intercepted (or so they claim).

In summary the WCCP protocol is made up of thee main parts

a) A control channel protocol over UDP where router and the interception
devices interact to define how and where traffic should be interceped.

b) Hash based routing, dividing the destination IP address space among the
interception devices. (WCCPv2 also has an alternative masking approach).

c) Forwarding method. WCCP/GRE (v1), WCCPv2/GRE (v2) or Direct-routing
(v2). Defines how traffic which is intercpted is forwarded by the router
to the interception device.

There was I-D documents for the WCCP and WCCPv2 protocols published by
Cisco some years ago as part of the WREC (Web Replication and Caching)
working group activities, and can still be found archived on the web at
the WREC home page <url:http://www.wrec.org/>.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
MARA Systems AB, Sweden