ax8817x usbnet hanging on 2.6.2

Hello,

I've got an ax8817x-based USB ethernet adapter (D-Link DUB-E100) that's hanging
when using 2.6.2.

The symptoms are that 'small' traffic works fine.  It's 'big' traffic that
hangs.  The box in question runs an IMAP daemon and a client can access it for
quite a while and nothing goes wrong.  But go to the box and try running a
'wget' on a large file from either a local or distant host and the ethernet
subsystem just locks up.  The ifconfig command reports about 500 errors
per-second (as RX-errors) but no others like collisions.  This error also
appears regardless of using another ax8817x device (Linksys) or any combination
of swapping out of cables or to different switch devices.  No other errors
appear.  The ethtool command shows no different results before or after.  The
link lights on the units stay lit and the switch port shows no errors.  Changes
to using different duplex and speed, as well as MTU, do not change things.

It's like the ethernet subsystem (and I use this term incorrectly, I'm sure) has
decided it doesn't understand how to use itself anymore.

Interestingly, running tcpdump on the port shows that when the connection 'dies'
the box starts making 'arp who-has' requests a lot.  An arp command shows it
still knows the HW address of the device in question.  Although I have seen it
'eventually' forget the HW address and show 'incomplete' in that column.

A suggestion from another admin person was to alter the size of the ring buffer.
But from what I can tell the usbnet driver doesn't support making this change.

This /was/ working in 2.6.1, at least to the extent I tested it.

I'm willing to provide whatever debug dumps or logs necessary to help solve this
puzzle.

-Bill Kearney
Syndic8.com
-