Re: [ANNOUNCE] TCP Westwood+

Thursday 15 January 2004 23:59, David S. Miller wrote:

> It would be very interesting to see how westwood+ compares to F-RTO,
> in particular over wireless networks since both purport to improve
> things over such technologies.
>
> Since F-RTO is available in both 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels now, such
> experiments should be easy to run.
>
> Also, it would be interesting, once we have a working TCP Vegas
> implementation again, to see how combinations of Westwood+/VEGAS and
> F-RTO/Vegas compared to flat new-reno.  In particular, since VEGAS
> attempts to avoid the packet loss from happening in the first place,
> and if it does still happen Westwood+/F-RTO will handle them more
> gracefully, the overall result should be something approaching the
> sum of the parts :-)

I am currently working on some modifies proposed by a project named
TCP-Hybla, which has the purpose to improve large-rtt (sat)
connections. It is reported to be fully compatible to Westwood+, since
it only modifies initial window selection and slow start/congestion
avoidance algorithm, as a replacement for Reno/Vegas.

I think it would be useful to implement some kind of packet spacing too,
so I am planning to start writing it from scratch. If you know about
any active or previous work involving pacing, I would really appreciate
if you let me know.

Regards

--
Daniele Lacamera