sis900 ony work as a module

Hello,

I have just swapped motherboards in a fedora Linux machine, and this new
motherboard has an on-board sis900 Ethernet, but I am having a little
trouble making use of it.

if I compile the driver right in the kernel the interface will not come
up, and it claims to not be on the system so the interface stays down.

when I compile it as a module I can load the module manually with an
ismod, then bring up eth0, and it works, but it will not come up on it's
own upon boot.

Shouldn't having the line
"alias eth0 sis900" in my /etc/modules.conf be enough for it to load it
before starting eth0 ?

And Why is it the network interface card does not load when the driver
is compiled into the kernel, but it will if the module is loaded?

-