neighbor table overflow

Hi

I am running a Slackware Linux system with a patched (IPSec) 2.4.20 kernel.

The system has four Ethernet adapters:

eth0: 172.20.1.1/24    - DMZ
eth1: Real IP          - Cable modem 1
eth2: Real IP          - Cable modem 2
eth3: 10.1.100.1/24    - Main LAN

I also have the loopback device (Which is to the best of my knowledge is up and correctly configured)
lo: 127.0.0.1/8

I sometimes bring up an IPSec and/or PPP device, however this is not relevant.

The IP's for the cable modems are assigned via DHCP.
Most of the time the two cable modem interfaces are assigned different IP addresses, but both addresses are on the same subnet.

Under this scenario, all is well.

However occasionally the two cable modems are assigned IP addresses that are on different subnets.

When this happens my logs fill up with the message:

"neighbor table overflow"

I have checked the IP's and net masks and the cable company has correctly set up their net masks.
Hence the two subnets do not overlap.

However the cable company uses the same broadcast address for both subnets:

255.255.255.255

If I manually change the broadcast address or take eth1 or eth2 down the log stops filling up.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Could this broadcast address be the cause of the problem?
2. What can I do about it short of changing ISP's?

Thanks,
David

PS If its relevant the net masks are usually either /21 or /22
However its common to have both when the two modems are on different subnets.
-