Re: TCP checksum offloading (complete)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:54:28AM +0100, francois donzet wrote:

> The problem is i found nowhere in the code the clue
> that skb->csum is filled with the checksum on
> tcpheader+data. (i know that after it is complemented
> with pseudo header checksum).

Yes, you 're right. There's no mention in the comments in the driver
source that *only* the trarsport-layer-PDU (TCP header + data) is
checksumed by the hardware. But a sum of the *complete* packet
contents (IP header + TCP header + data) sounds meaningless to me, as
this is *neither* an IP checksum, *nor* a TCP one!

I guess that someone who is more familirial with the e100 hardware
will be kind enough to clarify things a bit, and give a more
authoritative answer to this:

  What part of an *incoming* frame carrying a TCP packet is really
  checksumed by the hardware?? If all of it does (minus the ethernet
  header), as seems to be suggested in the driver comments, then how
  can this checksum be anything meaningfull since it is neither an IP
  nor a TCP checksum?

Until an answer is given, though, or more corroborating evidence are
collected, I would stand by my explanation, that only the
transport-layer PDU is checksumed by the hardware.

/npat

capacity---the rest is overhead for the operating system.
-