Seventh release of i82586 drivers: Novell NE3200, Microdyne EXOS 205T/215T and Intel EtherExpress 16

Hi.

You can now go to http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc94453/linux/i82586/ and
download the latest release of my i82586 driver project, which was
originally just for the Novell NE3200 but now includes the Microdyne EXOS
205T/215T and Intel EtherExpress 16 too.

http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc94453/linux/i82586/i82586-2003-10-30.tar.gz
http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc94453/linux/i82586/i82586-2003-10-30.txt

Summary of changes since the sixth release.

All:
Changes for compatibility with Linux 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 kernels.
Add support for changing the MTU (for e.g. jumbo frames), taking VLAN frames
into account. You can set the MTU as high as 16365 bytes if the board has
enough memory. I.e. don't expect miracles from a board with just 8 kB of
memory, but it should work fine with an EXOS205T with 256 kB or 512 kB. :-)

(However, testing that the bits actually make it across the wire has proven
to be difficult because neither de4x5 nor de2104x support jumbo frames (and
currently, de2104x doesn't even work with my DE450 board).)

82586 (version 0.07):
Support for boards with more than 64 kB of memory.
Print version number once when used.

eexpress (version 0.01):
New driver for Intel EtherExpress 16 boards. It is simply the Linux 2.4/2.6
driver with all the i82586 code ripped out in favour of using the 82586
module.

I have no way of testing this driver because I don't have such a board, but
I expect it to work fine because most of the code is known to work. Please
report success or failure with this driver.

exos205 (version 0.01):
New driver for Microdyne EXOS205T/215T(/225?) (and similarily named Excelan)
boards.

I have no way of testing this driver because I don't have such a board.
I'll sbe urpriced if it works because the EXOS 205T is a complex board.
Please report success or failure with this driver.

ne3200 (version 0.07):
Fix crash when unloading the module. release_regions() is used in module exit,
so don't declare it __init. Yeah, oops.
Support sharing of level triggered interrupts.
Autodetect edge triggered vs. level triggered interrupt. This is a hack. I
simply run the irq probe a second time and see what happens.
Shared interrupts are allocated only when the board is in use.
Module option changes, please see ne3200.txt.

Please report success or failure with the irq autodetection. In particular,
if you have multiple NE3200 boards sharing an irq, tell me if it works or
not without using the irq and irq_type options. See ne3200.txt for details.

Compiling the drivers.
----------------------
There is a new makefile which uses the Linux kbuild system.

With Linux 2.4:
ln -s /your/linux/build/tree build	# just once
make -C build SUBDIRS=$PWD depend	# just once
make -C build SUBDIRS=$PWD modules

With Linux 2.6:
ln -s /your/linux/build/tree build	# just once
make -C build SUBDIRS=$PWD modules

or even:

make -C /your/linux/build/tree build SUBDIRS=$PWD modules

Prebuilt firmware for ne3200 and exos205 is included because building the
firmware requires your binutils to be able to assemble i80186 code.

I don't know if 'make ... modules_install' will work, I simply copy the
modules into /lib/modules/2.x.y/kernel/drivers/net manually.

--
Regards,
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen